[vtk-developers] A new cell type for polyhedral meshes

Brian Dotson Brian.Dotson at netl.doe.gov
Tue Apr 25 14:44:51 EDT 2006

Mathieu,

OK.  I did a simple test program that brings in an vtkXMLUnstructured
Grid and does a surface filter and then renders and quits.  I run this
test code on data that has been meshed with tets and another that has
been meshed with polyhedrons.  I emphasize, this is the same data that
has been meshed two different ways.  When I run the tetrahedron data
through my program it executes in 4 seconds, when I execute the
polyhedron mesh it takes 4 minutes and 26 seconds.  I ran them both on
callgrind and in the polyhedron case it is spending a lot of time in
LUFactorLinearSystem and LUSolveLinearSystem.

I put the code, data, and callgrind output on my ftp site.

https://lars.netl.doe.gov/public/dotson/

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Brian Dotson
National Energy Technology Laboratory

>>> "Mathieu Malaterre" <mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com> 4/13/2006 5:26
PM >>>

Hi Brian,

    Let's try to do things in order. Can you exhibit a case where the
use
of vtkConvexPointCell is really slow in a small VTK/C++ code. Ideally
you should be able to run valgrind+callgrind to analyze what can/should

be optimized.
    A much more complex solution would be to use the Generic framework,
don't know if you are familiar with it, but you can find it in
VTK/GenericFiltering. Unfortunately it is not as well integrated in
ParaView. But this is one of our goal.

Anyway let me know how it goes, and what is your time frame ?
Thanks
Mathieu

Brian Dotson wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am working with a group of CFD researchers that are using ParaView
> view their data.  Last year we investigated how ParaView would handle

> polyhedral meshes.  I took their data and created a VTK file that
> consisted of an unstructured grid with convex point sets for cells.

> This worked, but when the cell counts and complexities got higher the

> performance dropped considerably.
>

> I started looking at this problem again, and was wondering if a new
VTK