[vtk-developers] Widget redesign

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Sep 15 11:39:04 EDT 2005

I wanted to provide some status on the work.

Lisa Avila had the idea to allow "parenting" of widgets. This simply
means that widgets, rather than observing events from the
vtkRenderWindowInteractor, observe events from a parent widget. This
reduces event contention, allows for hierarchies of widgets, and it
is much easier to create widgets that are composed of other widgets.
The change was rather simple and involved adding a Set/GetParent
methods to vtkAbstractWidget, and adding a method to
vtkWidgetEventTranslator to add registered events to a parent rather
than an interactor.

We have also found away to direct events based on the idea of "focus"
that Prabhu mentioned. We are still experimenting to see what this means.

There is a CVS branch "Widgets-Redesign" that you can take a look at
to see where we are.

Happy Widgeting,
Will