[vtk-developers] Re: vtkOBBTree sqrt domain err

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Mon Nov 28 14:06:07 EST 2005

Dean Inglis wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>the assertion fails! I added a debug macro
>and found that if:
>rangeAmin = -nan
>rangeAmax = -nan
>
>then the difference is -nan
>
>and the sqrt function conks out with a
>domain error.  Perhaps the vectors being dotted
>are not being initialized in some cases???

All the vectors are initialized when the OBB tree is generated,
so the only reason I can think of that rangeAmin could be a "nan" is
if the OBB tree was build from a data set that contained bad data.

Either that, or maybe the code that generates the OBB's,
ComputeOBB(), has bugs.  It looks like this method has
" /= numPts" in several places, maybe it is being sent an
empty list of points and and doing zero divided by zero.

 - David