[vtk-developers] kitware, vtk, paraview, and med.ge related spam

Michael Halle mhalle at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 21 21:21:24 EST 2005

Tonight I'm seeing a huge amount of spam,
some of it coming from fake email addresses
such as "Admin at kitware.com" or "info at vtk.org"
or "webmaster at paraview.org" or
"postman at amermsx.med.ge.com".

It seems to be spewing from the following machine:

cpe-24-170-16-235.jam.res.rr.com

Given the particular addresses, I would suspect
that someone in some way related to these organizations
has an infected machine. The malware running on it
is probably sampling the user's mailbox for
likely-sounding email addresses.

Does the above machine name sound familiar to anyone?
It's a residential RoadRunner machine, right?

I'll also send mail to abuse @ rr.com.

--Mike