[vtk-developers] Additional math functionality

Philippe P. Pebay pppebay at ca.sandia.gov
Fri Nov 4 15:40:15 EST 2005

John Platt wrote:
> Just a comment on math functions that require 2D arrays as arguments.
> When the dimensions are known at compile time, I find it more convenient
> to declare, say,
>
>  double[3][3] myArray;
>
>  rather than
>
>  double* myArrayPtrs[3];
>
> Jacobi()is a case in mind.
Maybe, maybe not. The double declaration may yield problems when interfacing with Fortran,
doesn't it ?

> Some additional 3x3 matrix transpose functionality would also be useful
> and a 2nd order tensor transformation
Sounds good to me.

And, BTW, the more I think of it, the more it seems that vtkMath may grow a lot -- and as Andy
was also sharing my opinion that we should leave vtkPolynomialSystem apart from vtkMath, I wonder
if we could not split the math tools into a few classes, e.g.,:

1. algebra (vector and tensor manipulation and operators over such, combinatorics)
2. solvers (including linear solvers)
3. vtkPolynomialSystem (that allows symbolic manipulation of polynomials, and systems
of such -- which of course includes manipulating linear systems)
4. and a general vtkMath where we would put useful stuff that cannot be attached to anything else.

P.