[vtk-developers] VTK-CVS and backwards compatibility

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sun Jul 17 06:00:06 EDT 2005

Hi,

Just a few general questions on backwards compatibility.  I noticed
that VTK-4.4 and earlier releases allowed the following:

  >>> cs = vtk.vtkConeSource()
  >>> o = cs.GetOutput()
  >>> o.GetSource()
  <libvtkGraphicsPython.vtkConeSource vtkobject at 0x40199f20>

With VTK-CVS this only prints None and to get the source one has to do
the following:

  >>> o.GetProducerPort().GetProducer()
  <libvtkGraphicsPython.vtkConeSource vtkobject at 0x40199f20>

Is the GetSource() method no longer supported or is this broken?

Similarly, some (all?) VTK readers used to provide a method called
GetNumberOfOutputs().  This is now replaced by
GetNumberOfOutputPorts() and the older method is no longer available.

Will things like GetNumberOfOutputs be no longer supported?

Is there a place where all these backwards compatibility issues are
mentioned?  I looked at the PDF files of the new pipeline and the FAQ
and these are not mentioned anywhere.

Thanks!

regards,
prabhu