[vtk-developers] Patch to vtkWrapPython.c to make wrapped Python code GIL-friendly

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sat Jul 16 09:51:44 EDT 2005

    Charl> On 7/13/05, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
    >> It's always best to prevent crashing in the first
    >> place... right? You could use a CMake construct like this:
[...]
    Charl> This would force everybody to upgrade to python 2.3, which
    Charl> is not always practical.  Perhaps this check could be
    Charl> combined with threading on/off, i.e. if someone has a
    Charl> python < 2.3 and wants python wrappings, threading has to
    Charl> be deactivated.

Well, I'd say add a #define to deal with this and define it if the
installed Python is good enough.  If that is hard to do, i.e. checking
the version of Python/running "import thread" etc., make an option
called VTK_USE_PYTHON_WITH_THREADS or something like that and ask the
user to set it if they want it.

Charl, thanks for taking a look at this threading stuff.

cheers,
prabhu