[vtk-developers] Compiling VTK on SC40/SC45 OSF systems

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:44:52 EDT 2005

I'm trying to compile VTK on our SC40 & SC45 systems (running OSF), and
running into the following problem:

cxx: Error:
../../ezViz/Utilities/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx, line 37:
cannot overload functions distinguished by return type alone
extern "C" vtkglX::__GLXextFuncPtr glXGetProcAddressARB(const GLubyte *);
-----------------------------------^
Building object file vtkOpenGLTexture.o...
cxx: Info: 1 error detected in the compilation of
"../../ezViz/Utilities/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx".
Building object file vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper.o...
gmake[3]: *** [vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
cxx: Info: File not optimized; use -g3 if both optimization and debug
wanted.
cxx: Info: File not optimized; use -g3 if both optimization and debug
wanted.
Building object file vtkgl.o...
gmake[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
cxx: Info: File not optimized; use -g3 if both optimization and debug
wanted.
gmake[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
gmake: *** [default_target] Error 2

I've found the offending line, inside a #define block, and simply commented
it out. That lets the compile complete, but i'm not sure if it's breaking
anything else. Any hints as to the proper resolution to this?

--
Randall Hand
http://www.yeraze.com