[vtk-developers] vtkPatented copyright...

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Mon Jan 31 10:00:21 EST 2005

Hi All,

I was going to leave vtkPatented out of vtkit but Steve Pieper made a
suggestion that may work:
vtkit has vtkPatented statically linked (but not automatically loaded into
the interpreter) but a tcl script must use "package require vtkpatented" in
order to load and use the patented classes.

The "package require vtkpatented" call could also print out a
copyright/patented notice to the console or popup a warning message box that
the user must accept to continue. Also a warning on the vtkit download page
could be put up.

This would make the user explicitly aware that the classes in vtkPatented
can not be used for commercial applications without a license.

Would this be acceptable?

Should all tcl examples/tests require a "package require vtkpatented" when
using patented classes?

Thanks,

Goodwin