[vtk-developers] Heads up changes to interactors and widgets....

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Dec 9 13:53:27 EST 2005

I wanted to give VTK folks a heads up relative to some changes I will
be checking in the next day or two. I have added some methods in
vtkObject: GrabFocus(vtkCommand*) and ReleaseFocus() that allow a
particular observer/command to gain total control over the stream of
events. That is, when the focus is grabbed by a vtkCommand on a
particular object, only events registered by that command/observer
are processed.

(My primary motivation for this is to avoid widget/interactor
contention when a widget starts a sequence of events and then the
interactor starts intercepting/responding to events before the widget
has completed processing its expected sequence of interaction events.)

While the testing says everything is fine, if there are any problems
it manifests in the form of an unresponsive
vtkRenderWindowInteractor. (I only saw this once when I forgot a
ReleaseFocus() in one of the interactor styles :-)) Please let me
know if you ever see this happen.

Will