[vtk-developers] VTK build problems (virgin build).

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Aug 25 11:26:58 EDT 2005

Andrew Maclean wrote:
>     1) Shared libaries on and RPATH OFF and building both VTK and ParaView.
>     2) libQVTK.so dependency if build examples is on.
> I suspect that these problems only manifest themselves when a build is done
> starting with ana empty directory.
> -------------- libQVTK --------------------
> Almost everything builds except a fail occurs when the examples are built:
>   /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lQVTK
[snip]
> So there is a dependency problem here - it needs libQVTK.so before it can
> build it.

This code in VTK/Examples/CMakeLists.txt:

   # Make sure the target builds after the rest of VTK.
   ADD_DEPENDENCIES(VTKExamplesTarget
     vtkCommon
     vtkFiltering
     vtkImaging
     vtkGraphics
     vtkGenericFiltering
     vtkIO
     )
   IF(VTK_USE_RENDERING)
     ADD_DEPENDENCIES(VTKExamplesTarget vtkRendering)
     ADD_DEPENDENCIES(VTKExamplesTarget vtkVolumeRendering)
     ADD_DEPENDENCIES(VTKExamplesTarget vtkHybrid)
     ADD_DEPENDENCIES(VTKExamplesTarget vtkWidgets)
   ENDIF(VTK_USE_RENDERING)
   IF(VTK_USE_PARALLEL)
     ADD_DEPENDENCIES(VTKExamplesTarget vtkParallel)
   ENDIF(VTK_USE_PARALLEL)

tries to make sure everything the examples need is built before the
examples are built.  Clearly QVTK is missing from this list.  I'll fix it.

> ---------------------  Switching off RPATH -------------------------
>
> If you switch off RPath, keeping Shared libs ON, and delete all the libs and
> executables. This is as instructed for the installing of the libraries the
> build fails at this point:
> Building CXX object
> Common/Testing/Cxx/CMakeFiles/CommonCxxTests.dir/TestGarbageCollector.o
> Linking CXX executable bin/CommonCxxTests
> Linking CXX executable bin/TestCxxFeatures
> Linking CXX executable bin/TestInstantiator
> Linking CXX executable bin/FilteringCxxTests
> Generating conversion_complete
> ../../../bin/vtkpython: error while loading shared libraries:
> libvtksys.so.4.5:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [Filtering/Testing/Python/conversion_complete] Error 127
> make[1]: ***
> [Filtering/Testing/Python/CMakeFiles/FilteringPythonTests.dir/all]Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Finally, I think that /VTK/README.html needs to be updated to reflect the
> recent changes.

I've been meaning to update the README.  Thanks for the kick.  Without
RPATH you have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the VTK-build/bin
directory when you run "make".

> ------------------------ ParaView, RPATH switched off. ---------------
>
> In the case of ParaView, the build fails at:
> Linking CXX shared library bin/libvtkPVFiltersCS.so
> Generating vtkSMGeneratedModules.h
> Error converting executable file "../../bin/kwProcessXML-real" to real path:
> Nosuch file or directory
> make[2]: *** [Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMGeneratedModules.h] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [Servers/ServerManager/CMakeFiles/vtkPVServerManager.dir/all]

Fixed this morning.

-Brad