[vtk-developers] VTK build problems (virgin build).

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Aug 25 10:24:31 EDT 2005

*sigh*, forgot to CC the list...

------- Forwarded Message

From: tom fogal <tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu>
To: Andrew Maclean <a.maclean at cas.edu.au>
Subject: Re: [vtk-developers] VTK build problems (virgin build).
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:23:00 -0400
Sender: tfogal at apollo

 <200508251029.01353.a.maclean at cas.edu.au>Andrew Maclean writes:
<snip>
>---------------------  Switching off RPATH -------------------------
>
>If you switch off RPath, keeping Shared libs ON, and delete all the libs and
>executables. This is as instructed for the installing of the libraries the
>build fails at this point:
>Building CXX object
>Common/Testing/Cxx/CMakeFiles/CommonCxxTests.dir/TestGarbageCollector.o
>Linking CXX executable bin/CommonCxxTests
>Linking CXX executable bin/TestCxxFeatures
>Linking CXX executable bin/TestInstantiator
>Linking CXX executable bin/FilteringCxxTests
>Generating conversion_complete
>../../../bin/vtkpython: error while loading shared libraries:
>libvtksys.so.4.5:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>make[2]: *** [Filtering/Testing/Python/conversion_complete] Error 127
>make[1]: ***
>[Filtering/Testing/Python/CMakeFiles/FilteringPythonTests.dir/all]Error 2
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>
>Finally, I think that /VTK/README.html needs to be updated to reflect the
>recent changes.

I had this problem about a week ago now[1].  We chalked it up to me
having a weird update path / grabbing CVS at bad times.  I haven't had
time to try it again yet, but Brad King reports that it worked for him
[2].

If you are having issues with it too now, then this should probably be
looked into more.  If you can repeat the error, can you elaborate on
exactly what you've done?

- -tom

[1] http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2005-August/003690.html
[2] http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2005-August/003694.html