[vtk-developers] build errors with libvtkCommon.so.4.5

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Aug 19 16:28:04 EDT 2005

tom fogal wrote:
> Thus I would imagine it needs some sort of rpath setting to
> be able to find the library, or my setting of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> environment variable.

You need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the vtk-build/bin directory
if VTK_USE_RPATH is OFF.

> It should be noted that in the times I've had this trouble, I've
> started with VTK_USE_RPATH as ON and then later switched it to OFF,
> after I got the message during 'make install' and smacked myself in the
> head.  Also these are all out of source builds.
> I am trying a build now where I conciously set VTK_USE_RPATH to OFF
> before running a single 'make', from a clean directory.  I will respond
> with results later, hopefully this afternoon...

There are no dependencies to get the libraries to re-link when the
VTK_USE_RPATH setting chagnes.  The make install error message instructs
you to delete the libraries before running "make" again after setting
VTK_USE_RPATH to OFF.  This will probably be a common problem so I'll
investigate getting things to relink automatically.

> I would argue that VTK_USE_RPATH should default to OFF.  Is there a
> reason why its current default is ON?  I know there was a lot of
> discussion about rpath recently, but I didn't follow the details very
> closely...

Read the end of the make install error message: "See comments in
VTK/CMake/vtkSelectSharedLibraries.cmake for more information.".  There
is a good reason the default is ON when checking out from CVS.  The
default actually will be OFF for releases, though.

-Brad