[vtk-developers] build errors with libvtkCommon.so.4.5

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Fri Aug 19 15:14:40 EDT 2005

I've been having build errors with the CVS version over the past few
days or so.  Didn't want to cause false alarms, if I had chosen to
update at a bad time or something, but it still hasn't gone away and
I've done another fresh update this morning.

The problem seems to be that 'vtkpython' is linked with
libvtkCommon.so.4.5, and the build process wants to run the executable.
This doesn't work, I think because libvtkCommon.so.4.5 is not yet
installed.  Thus I would imagine it needs some sort of rpath setting to
be able to find the library, or my setting of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable.

I've posted the build_log and all sorts of CMake files that I don't
really understand to a website:

https://apollo.sr.unh.edu/~tfogal/VTK/

It should be noted that in the times I've had this trouble, I've
started with VTK_USE_RPATH as ON and then later switched it to OFF,
after I got the message during 'make install' and smacked myself in the
head.  Also these are all out of source builds.
I am trying a build now where I conciously set VTK_USE_RPATH to OFF
before running a single 'make', from a clean directory.  I will respond
with results later, hopefully this afternoon...

I would argue that VTK_USE_RPATH should default to OFF.  Is there a
reason why its current default is ON?  I know there was a lot of
discussion about rpath recently, but I didn't follow the details very
closely...

-tom