[vtk-developers] Proposed VTK_USE_VIDEO_FOR_WINDOWS / vfw32 / vtkAVIWriter changes

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Aug 18 15:32:21 EDT 2005

Sebastien BARRE wrote:
> At 8/18/2005 02:55 PM, David Cole wrote:
>
>> OK, objection registered this time. Idea needs more brewing... :-)
>>
>> Sounds like you want vtkAVIWriter from cygwin, but we can't compile
>> vtkWin32VideoSource.cxx there (I'm running a test compile under cygwin
>> right now to verify that's still the case.)
>>
>> Should we leave the VTK_USE_VIDEO_FOR_WINDOWS setting as is and then
>> add a new flag that's the internal only result of the TRY_COMPILE to
>> decide about including vtkAVIWriter? Is that the optimum solution?
>

> The less the number of flags / user-options, the better. We probably
> need a TRY_COMPILE for  Video for Windows stuff, and the result of that
> can be used to set VTK_USE_VIDEO_FOR_WINDOWS. If we are using Cygwin,
> detect it (there is a CMake var for that), and don't compile VideoSource
> because we know it's not ready for that yet.

I am against the hardcoded: "this is cygwin -> don't build". I'll update
the test to check for the few typedef/enum type needed by
vtkWin32VideoSource. Therefore the TRY_COMPILE will fail without prior
knowledge of target plateform. And in the future, if cygwin people ever
decide to update their header file, this will allow users to finally
compile vtkWin32VideoSource.

But someone has to update the documentation explaining how to build
vtkAVIWriter by moving the cxx outside from with the
VTK_USE_VIDEO_FOR_WINDOWS switch case in the CMakeLists.txt. Maybe
mentioning that better support was dropped due to incomplete headers
shipped with cygwin...

2 cents,
Mathieu