[vtk-developers] Re: VTK Python Installation [was: VTK 5.0 branch in mid-August]

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Fri Aug 5 14:44:38 EDT 2005

    >> 3. If you are planning on changing the install rules, please
    >>    ensure
    >> that the vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dll/.so goes into a
    >> directory on the PATH or in PREFIX/lib.  It does not seem to
    >> work reliably otherwise.  I will ignore this file in setup.py.

    Sander> Now that you mention it, I still have a question about
    Sander> this TkWidgets library.  Is it maybe possible to implement
    Sander> a way to turn off the Tk dependent parts when building VTK
    Sander> with Python wrapping? (this only affects the widgets,
    Sander> right?)

AFAIK, this library is not built if the TK_LIBRARY is not defined.
Look in Rendering/CMakeLists.txt::

IF (VTK_WRAP_PYTHON)
  IF (TK_LIBRARY)
     IF(NOT VTK_USE_COCOA)
       SET(RenderingPythonTkWidgets_SRCS
          vtkTkWidgetsInit.cxx
          vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.cxx
          vtkTkImageViewerWidgetPython.cxx
          )
[...]

So, I think if you turn on VTK_WRAP_PYTHON but don't set the
TK_LIBRARY this should never be built.

Could you test this and see?

cheers,
prabhu