[vtk-developers] Re: VTK Python Installation [was: VTK 5.0 branch in mid-August]

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Fri Aug 5 08:04:26 EDT 2005

>   3. If you are planning on changing the install rules, please ensure
>      that the vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dll/.so goes into a
>      directory on the PATH or in PREFIX/lib.  It does not seem to work
>      reliably otherwise.  I will ignore this file in setup.py.

Now that you mention it, I still have a question about this TkWidgets
library.
Is it maybe possible to implement a way to turn off the Tk dependent
parts when building VTK with Python wrapping? (this only affects the
widgets, right?)

For our project we are using wxPython and thus don't need the Tk
Widgets. It is kind of annoying to have to install Tk on all our
development systems (both Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X machines) just
so we can build our application.

Best regards,
Sander