[vtk-developers] Better organization of tests

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Thu Aug 4 14:56:06 EDT 2005

    Andy> Hi Prabhu, Well, test name defines the category. So, if the
    Andy> test name is VTK.Graphics.Maze, then the test is in category
    Andy> VTK, which contains category Graphics, which contains the
    Andy> test Maze. You cannot have the same test in multiple
    Andy> categories (in the current design).

    Andy> So, decision needs to be made about the type of test. For
    Andy> example, maybe all the blackbox tests should be separated,
    Andy> or maybe they should be separated by kit:

    Andy> VTK.Imaging.Blackbox.HeaderTesting

Hmm, I assume the Blackbox stuff you mean refers to very specific
things like HeaderTesting and PrintSelf.  The Python vtk.test.BlackBox
has some simple "blackbx" tests as well.  The trouble with this is
that with Python tests you can actually create several distinct tests
in one go in one "test file", so you could have one test suite doing
both a blackbox and an image test.  From what I understand, I think
your organization will not affect what someone chooses to do inside
their test?  For example, some tests could (in theory) actually
require different images.  I would think it useful if the proposed
organization was as simple as letting folks look at tests inside
Imaging/Common/Rendering etc.  Too much fine-grained organization
might just lead to too many complications and restrictions.

BTW, will these changes require changes to the output in
vtk.test.Testing?

cheers,
prabhu