[vtk-developers] deprecated CRT routines in MSVS8

Yianis Nikolaou yianisn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 03:37:55 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I have to agree with Amitha because
IMHO the activation/deactivation of these warnings
should be left for the developer to decide explicitly,
and this can be handled easily with the addition of a line like

ADD_DEFINITIONS(-D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE)
in the CMakeList.txt file.

or by
# pragma warning ( disable : 4996 ) /* depreciated functions */
in a header file as Goodwin suggested.

There is no reason to integrate this kind of functionality in CMake,
anyone who gets 1981638939 warnings when he compiles his
project will either figure this out on his own or google around and
will certainly come across our conversation ;-)

As far as VTK is concerned, I don't think its developers
thought that standard C function were a security
risk (it seems thought that MS does) that is why
the inclusion of the above CMake line
in VTK's CMakeList.txt is, in my opinion,
all that is necessary.

best regards
yianis nikolaou