[vtk-developers] Removing vtkpython.py backwards compatibility

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Wed Aug 3 02:05:18 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm planning on removing the older vtkpython compatibility layer for
VTK-5.0.  This means that VTK-Python users will not be able to do any
of the following (or similar)::

 import vtkpython
 import vtkpythontk
 import vtkRenderWidget
 import vtkTkRenderWidget
 import vtkTkImageViewerWidget
 import wxVTKRenderWidget
 import QVTKRenderWidget

Instead you will *have to* use the following::

 import vtk
 from vtk.tk import vtkTkRenderWidget
 from vtk.tk import vtkTkImageViewerWidget
 from vtk.wx import wxVTKRenderWindow
 from vtk.qt import QVTKRenderWidget

The 'vtk' package has been around since VTK-4.0 (March 2002) and is
stable.  The vtkpython.py, vtkRenderWidget.py and other backwards
compatibility files internally use the vtk package structure.  These
backwards compatibility files only add to the complexity of installing
VTK-Python since they rely on the use of a vtk.pth file.

The newer vtk package structure will not need to use a vtk.pth file.
This will make it a little easier to install and use VTK-Python.
VTK-5.0 already introduces a new pipeline with some backwards
incompatible changes and I feel this is a good time to clean up the
VTK-Python package as well.

Does anyone have serious objections to this?  Please get back to me
ASAP if you do.  I intend making these changes in the next few days.

cheers,
prabhu