[vtk-developers] proposed change to vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Fri Jul 23 06:20:08 EDT 2004

Dear Developers,

In the light of the recent VTK/Python/wxPython discussions on the users
mailing list, I wish to modify the vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor
slightly.  I want to override the vtkRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize
method in order to change it from:

void vtkRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize()
{
   this->Initialized=1;
   this->Enable();
   this->RenderWindow->Render();
}

void vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize()
{
   this->Initialized=1;
   this->Enable();
}

Rationale:
The vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor is there for VTK <-> external event
handling interfacing.  In general, the API for RenderWindowInteractors
requires that RWI->Initialize() and RWI->Start() are called.  However,
when the RWI is cooperating with a widget set, we don't want the
Initialize() (which is often called before the widget set's event
handling loop can begin) to force a Render(), as this can interfere with
the window refresh logic of the widget set.

I would like to hear any comments on this proposed change.

Thanks,
Charl