[vtk-developers] development and change roadmap on vtk.org?

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Sat Jan 17 20:36:33 EST 2004

Hi Mike,

> I just noticed that the relatively big VTK changes that
> are happening between vtk4.2, the CVS version, and later
> versions is not documented on the vtk website in any
> way that someone just discovering vtk would ever be
> able to find.

The roadmap is in the FAQ. I'm guessing that you are looking for more detail
in the existing entries. We should probably emphasize the FAQ more on the
main web page.

> Even for me, it seems impossible to easily find out if,
> say, 4.2.5 has the float -> double change or not without
> going to the email list archives.

The FAQ indicates that feature will be in VTK 4.4. That is the case. It does
not indicate that it will not be in 4.2.5 but it is too big a change to make
as a patch release to 4.2 plus that could screw up people who are using the
4.2 branch for development.

> I think it would be very useful for a version of Will's
> original "roadmap for changes" email could be turned into
> a page on the site, and that the page could include
> release version numbers and dates (for CVS) as they are
> actually implemented.

Good idea. That email could be added to the FAQ entry, and we could update
that to indicate what has been done and when.

> A "how to change your code that works today into code
> that work will work tomorrow with the least pain and
> the greatest chance of working the day after" would also
> be extremely handy.
>
> Would this kind of extra documentation be possible?

Another good idea. I agree that would be nice and I'll put it high up on the
queue.

Thanks
Ken