[vtk-developers] QVTKWidget

Jon H Kaspersen Jon.H.Kaspersen at sintef.no
Tue Dec 14 15:13:32 EST 2004

Sounds like music in my ears as well....I'd like to try out the MacOSX
version

Couple of questions:
Does the Qt4p2 support "full screen" on OSX ?
Does the Qt4p2 support stereo in a window ?

Regards
Jon
On Dec 14, 2004, at 3:57 PM, Wylie, Brian wrote:

> All,
>
> There are several QT/VTK widgets out there and I've tried them all...
>
> We have a guy working with us.. Clinton Stimpson from ElemTech and he
> has put together a very nice implementation that IMHO is superior to
> other implementations....blah...blah...blah...
>
> Anyway I would like to add the class to VTK, and will do so in a couple
> days unless I here otherwise.
>
> Here's a description from Clint...
>
> QVTKWidget is a package which allows putting a vtkRenderWindow in a Qt
> GUI.  I know there are already a bunch out there, but I didn't like any
> of them.  I thought they were too complicated and awkward for such a
> simple problem.  And also, VTK doesn't have any examples of using a Qt
> GUI with VTK as it does with MFC and others.
>
> To be consistent with the other GUI/VTK integration packages/examples.
> I'd probably recommend putting QVTKWidget in VTK/Examples/GUI/Qt along
> with a few examples of using it.
> On the otherhand, it is more than just an example as it is usable in
> several projects as-is without any changes.
> So, perhaps it goes under Utilities with an option to build it.
>
> It's design is more Qt-ish design than other Qt/VTK packages.  As a
> result, better Qt integration is possible.
> The design philosophy is to let VTK do what it does best and let Qt do
> what it does best.  The class name starts with 'Q' to emphasize the
> Qt-ishness of it.
>
> The design allows the following features:
> 1. Has a designer plugin for rapid development of GUI's using VTK.
> 2. Significantly less code than other Qt/VTK packages.
> 3. Can even use the same widget class with image viewer classes in VTK.
> 4. Instead of using Qt's opengl extension, it uses VTK to initialize
> the
>
> windows.  As a result, QVTKWidget is "device independent".  For
> example,
>
> on Unix, one can use Mangled Mesa or OpenGL without rebuilding
> QVTKWidget and use them concurrently in the same application.
>
> Other features include
> 1. Works with all of VTK such as, 3d widgets, interactor styles, scroll
> wheel events, etc..
> 2. Works and tested on Windows, Linux, MacOSX, HP-UX, IRIX, SunOS.
> 3. Supports reparenting (either at the Qt level, or by swapping
> instances of vtkRenderWindow).
> 4. Works with Qt3 and Qt4 (preview 2).
>
> There are also some examples in using it.
>
> *Note:  For the MacOSX, there are some exceptions.  I made some AppleGL
> calls to make up for deficiencies in VTK and Qt3.  With Qt4, HIViews
> can
>
> be used, but VTK isn't ready for that yet.  Once VTK's deficiencies are
> removed, then most of the MacOSX specific code goes away.
>

> 	Brian Wylie
> 	Sandia National Laboratories
> 	MS 0822 - Org 9227 - Building 880/A1-J
>       (505) 844-2238   FAX (505) 845-0833

Jon Harald Kaspersen                        Mob:	   +47 93 03 65 90
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
Senior Scientist
SINTEF Helse
N-7465 Trondheim