[vtk-developers] (no subject)

Thompson, David C dcthomp at sandia.gov
Tue Dec 7 05:14:08 EST 2004

Hello,

        A while back (July), Philippe Pébay and I asked about
adding some more cell quality measures to vtkMeshQuality.
We now have some code that computes several quality
measures for triangles, quads, and tetrahedra. We are
thinking about a couple of hexahedral measures, but those
might not make it into the first commit.

        When we first broached the subject, Leila Baghdadi
raised some concerns about changes to the old API. Unfortunately,
keeping the old API around while trying to accomodate use
of the filter in ParaView is a challenge. The problem is that
vtkMeshQuality currently computes both tetrahedral volumes
and cell qualities by default and stores them in a single array,
which can be confusing to deal with in ParaView.

        I've attached a header file describing a compromise
that I hope will be satisfactory. By calling CompatabilityModeOn(),
the current behavior will be closely emulated (but you get
vtkDoubleArrays instead of vtkFloatArrays). Otherwise, volumes
are not computed by default and turning them on generates a
second array.

        If there aren't any strong objections, we would like
to check in the new code on Wednesday.

         Thanks,
         David Thompson