[vtk-developers] Can we add gl2ps to Utilities?

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu.Malaterre at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Oct 10 11:25:37 EDT 2003

Prabbu,

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> Dear VTK Developers,
>
> I've been using the vtkGL2PSExporter and have found it very useful so
> far.  The latest version of GL2PS supports PDF output.
>
>       http://www.geuz.org/gl2ps/
>
> This means that it might soon support transparency.  SVG output is
> also possible and might be added.

That would be excellent !

> Now, building VTK with GL2PS support requires that one build and
> install gl2ps separately.  Building gl2ps is quite trivial since the
> source consists of a single .h and .c file.  However, given VTK's
> complexity its one more thing for a user to worry about.  I would
> think adding a gl2ps directory to Utilities (like the other useful
> stuff already there) would be very convenient and VTK users will have
> gl2ps support by default when they build VTK.

My understanding is that this lib has been growing rather fast this last
few months. Whereas the lib in Utilities are IMHO more stable. If you
decide to merge it into the VTK tree, who will be in charge of
maintaining it ?

BTW, I am still not confortable with this license issue. I haven't been
able to find a document that explain which license can be use with
another one...

my 2 cents,
mathieu