[vtk-developers] Can we add gl2ps to Utilities?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Oct 9 10:41:15 EDT 2003

Dear VTK Developers,

I've been using the vtkGL2PSExporter and have found it very useful so
far.  The latest version of GL2PS supports PDF output.

      http://www.geuz.org/gl2ps/

This means that it might soon support transparency.  SVG output is
also possible and might be added.

Now, building VTK with GL2PS support requires that one build and
install gl2ps separately.  Building gl2ps is quite trivial since the
source consists of a single .h and .c file.  However, given VTK's
complexity its one more thing for a user to worry about.  I would
think adding a gl2ps directory to Utilities (like the other useful
stuff already there) would be very convenient and VTK users will have
gl2ps support by default when they build VTK.

Issues:

 1. Do you folks think it is OK to add gl2ps to VTK inside Utilities?

 2. License issues: GL2PS is distributed under the LGPL.  So if
    someone makes changes to gl2ps.h/gl2ps.c they'd need to make them
    available under the LGPL.  Is it OK to add the gl2ps sources to
    VTK?  I'd appreciate if someone would please let me know.  If LGPL
    is strictly not compatible with VTK's licensing I do not mind
    asking Christophe Geuzaine (the gl2ps developer) if some kind of
    modification or exception can be made.

Would appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

regards,