[vtk-developers] Re: Final decision on license? [GL2PS]

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 4 15:07:20 EST 2003

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     KM> Hi Christophe, Good Job. I think the resulting copyright you
>     KM> came up with is clear in its intent and it is pretty
>     KM> reasonable. My gut reaction is that even though the resulting
>     KM> copyright is more restrictive than BSD, as long as we put a
>     KM> COPYRIGHT file at the top of the gl2ps directory I can live
>
> Thanks Christophe and Ken!
>
>     KM> with it. Other opinions from fellow VTK developers? On a
>     KM> related note who ever puts this into VTK (Prabhu?) I assume
>     KM> will make it so that it compiles without warnings & memory
>     KM> leaks on all our tested platforms. That could be a bit of work
>     KM> but I'm sure it will be appreciated.
>
> I'll be happy to check the code in (i.e. integrate it into VTK) and
> test things under Linux.

OK. I will release a version with the new licensing scheme, then. This
new version will include the ability to generate compressed PDF and
PostScript files using zlib.

> However, I do not have access to other
> platforms so cannot help with fixing issues on other platforms.  I
> could probably test things under Win32 but that is going to be a pain
> because the machine I can build VTK on is in another lab.  I also have
> my dissertation to finish so am not in a position to spend too much
> time on this.  I'd also appreciate tips on how to go about checking
> memory leaks.  What do you folks do to test for memory leaks in VTK?

The code should already compile "as is" on quite many platforms (GL2PS
is included in my mesh generator, which compiles/runs fine on Linux,
Windows, Mac OS X, HP UX, Sun OS, SGI IRIX, IBM AIX, Compaq Tru 64 and
FreeBSD).

On Linux, memprof does not seem to detect any memory leaks. It would be
nice to run the code through valgrind and purify, though.

Cheers,

Christophe

--
Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech