[vtk-developers] ARB - vtkDICOMImageReader

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Mar 31 15:18:49 EST 2003

Hey Matt,

Clearly there is a demand for DICOM IO in VTK so I think this would be a
great addition. I'd suggest you add it to VTK, make sure it compiles and
passes the tests everywhere. Then let us see what happens. The only
downside I can see would be if it wasn't really working from a user's
point of view by the time of the next VTK release it might have to be
yanked and some VTK CVS users might be upset. That is mainly a support
issue. If a certain percentage of VTK users do not think the class works
then our support of the class involves fixing those "bugs" which in
DICOM "bugs" frequently means it can't read the non-compliant DICOM
images my scanner produces. On the good side, once the class is added I
think a number of people out there might jump in and help get it to
handle some of the odd DICOM cases.

Thanks
Ken