[vtk-developers] Strange behavoir in vtkCamera

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Mar 25 13:06:34 EST 2003

Hello Silvano,

Changing vtkCamera::ComputePerspectiveTransform would change more than just
the reset camera functionality - it would change the notion of how the view
angle is measured. Of course, looking at the code I now see that there is a
UseHorizontalViewAngle flag (default 0) that can be used to consider the
view angle in the x rather than the y direction. You could then write your
own reset functionality that switched this variable based on whether the
width or the height of the window was greater.

One other note - it looks like Chris Volpe made the change to add the
horizontal option - but it does not seem to be propagated to the parallel
case (just in perspective). I suspect this is a bug and I will correct it.
I am suspicious of this change - there are places outside of vtkCamera that
assume that the field of view defines the angle in Y and unless all of
these were changed as well then it is likely that using the horizontal flag
will result in bad images.

Lisa