[vtk-developers] very long build times

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Feb 20 14:01:26 EST 2003

Hey John,

That's pants. Something is wrong with your system. On my old 1.0 Ghz
Athlon with 768 MB ram VC6, VTK with Tcl builds in about 55 minutes. On
my new system (~2.5 GHz P4) which is VS7 it builds in 40 minutes.
Clearly from your 2% CPU usage there is a problem. I assume you are
building to a local disk and not a network or USB 1.0 disk, etc. That
would certainly slow you down if that were the case. A disk defrag might
help if nothing else comes to mind, but with the times you are talking I
think there is a more significant cause. I don't think there is any
configuration option in CMake that could account for this. Other less
plausible options :-)

1) You are probably using 50Hz power instead of 60Hz, that's 18% slower
right there. (not even counting the difference in PAL's 25Hz and NTSC's
~30Hz which is impacting your monitor :-)

2) You are using 240 Volts instead of 120. Faster CPU's tend to run at
lower voltages so that could be impacting your CPU.

3) Don't forget the time zone difference. England is 19 hours behind US
East Coast time (OK 5 hours ahead really). Add those 19 hours to a
typical one hour build and you get 20 hours which is what you are
seeing.

Thanks
Ken