[vtk-developers] ARB - feature addition

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at camris.ca
Thu Dec 11 15:19:20 EST 2003

Hi John,

ok, to kick this whole 2D handles widget thing off, I'm committing
vtkImageTracerWidget as is so that some consensus can be reached on
how to, if necessary, develope a superclass: perhaps vtk2DHandleWidget?

>I'ce made some tweaks to vtkSplineWidget to enable a bit more control of
>handles, then I've subclassed it to create vtkTransferFunctionWidget, which
>adds/removes handles, drasw bar charts and does the RGB management etc.
What
>I ought to do is consolidate my changes in vtkSplineWidget, possibly doa
>straightline only version like vtkPolyLineWidget and subclass that to make
>vtksplineWidget. then do some tidying up to get the TrFn-Widget.

there are some methods that vtkImageTracerWidget has that may be
used in a 2D version of vtkSplineWidget/ or vtkPolyLineWidget, have
a look: these may be methods that a common super-class could have.

>ok. I don't know where to start. Lots of good changes that I want to use.
>Certainly 2D handles would be great. indeed, we also need some generalized
>2D widgets for moving text around and resizing etc (and 2D handles seems
>sensible here). I had this all working in RPD but broke it one day and
never
>got it fixed again.

Agreed, thats why it may take a bit to figure out commonality.

>> If you wouldn't mine using your widget as a starting point, I would be
>> pleased to collaborate :)

>yes. I'll start putting together a test/demo and then commit stuff soon.
>then you can at least try it out and we can go from there. The only catch
is
>that mine expects the user to pop up and RGB dialog to colour individual
>points and that might be tricky as I'm not a tcl/tk whizz. (Sebastien? if
>you're reading this, how can I do fancy gui's in tcl/tk - is there a gui
>builder anywhere?)

If you are willing, I could try it out in Builder first as is
(I've got BCB5 & BCB6) ... tcl/tk guis are also not my area.

>> Also, do you have any thoughts on the ongoing wglMakeCurrent errs I have
>> been reporting?

>a bug now I can find it when I rebuild. Certainly you've got some stuff
like
>clean/frame which shouldn't be there in the constructor (it was put there
>originally to fix the garbage, but changes over the years have made it
>obsolete and in fact dangerous) - however, I don't think this is related to
>your trouble. I will tentatively do a cvs update here and rebuild tons of
>stuff overnight and maybe get back to you tomorrow.

Well, as you were the originator of that very useful component, and I am no
expert at VCL stuff, it would be great if someday you had the time to look
:)

Dean