[vtk-developers] CopyScalarsOff

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Nov 27 13:59:08 EST 2002

> Does the CopyScalarsOff functionality still exist and work? I have a pipeline
> that has statements like:
>
> [[foo GetOutput] GetPointData] CopyScalarsOff
>
> If I connect a writer to the pipeline, I still get Scalars in my output. I
> looked at the code in DataSetAttributes and there are lots of
> opportunities for errors.

This is not a bug but a feature :-) In UpdateData(), vtkSource
calls Initialize() (indirectly through PrepareForNewData()) on
it's output(s). Initialize() resets all the copy flags. It was a
very dangerous thing to do in the first place. The correct way
of doing it is to insert a filter which blocks attributes
(vtkMaskFields if I am not mistaken).

-Berk