[vtk-developers] Trouble with vtkStreamLine with large vectors.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Nov 13 16:59:06 EST 2002

hi,

I recently received a 3D dataset that produces absurd streamlines even
though the velocity vectors (hedge hogs, glyphs etc.) look ok.  I
played around with the data and after quite a while figured that the
magnitude of the velocity vector was very large (MaxNorm of 8.0e5).
So I rescaled the vectors by a factor of 1e5 and everything works
beautifully.  I suspect that this problem arises because the
computations in vtkStreamer are done with floats.  Is this correct?
Can this be fixed without users having to scale their data?  Would it
require moving to double precision?

thanks.
prabhu