[vtk-developers] Compile VTK in 2 minutes

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue May 7 14:07:29 EDT 2002

    DG> It makes a big difference if you skip the extra kits and if
    DG> you don't do the tcl, python wrapping.

    DG> Prabhu: even on a single-cpu machine, 'make -j 2' speeds
    DG> things up a fair bit.  A lot of RAM helps too.  Typically it

I'm not so sure about that.  My current build with make -j 4 has taken
about 1.5 hours already (and its just now started on Rendering).  I
have 192MB RAM not too much but should do.  I still have some free
memory.

Does a -g -O2 make a difference?  FWIW, I usually build the Tcl and
Python wrappers.  Maybe that makes the difference?

    DG> takes me about 15-20 min to build all of VTK + wrapping (with
    DG> -02 optization) on the 2x933 PIII 1GB RAM in our lab, using

Yes, that makes sense.  You are talking of a > 4x improvement over my
machine.  So a 30 min build is not surprising.

prabhu