[vtk-developers] Compile VTK in 2 minutes

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Tue May 7 13:22:42 EDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     AC> xanth [241] make clean ...  xanth [242] time make -j 4 make -j
>     AC> 4 121.32s user 30.78s system 151% cpu 1:40.63 total
>
> [snip]
>
>     AC> GCC rocks!
>
> I think its your machine that rocks.  :) Are you are using
> compilercache or something?  My humble PIII 450 takes a few hours
> atleast to build VTK using GCC.

It makes a big difference if you skip the extra kits and if you don't
do the tcl, python wrapping.

Prabhu: even on a single-cpu machine, 'make -j 2' speeds things up a
fair bit.  A lot of RAM helps too.  Typically it takes me about 15-20 min
to build all of VTK + wrapping (with -02 optization) on the 2x933 PIII
1GB RAM in our lab, using gcc-2.95.3.  The build is done off of a network
disk, which might slow things down a bit.

 - David