[vtk-developers] VTK Python on Sun

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Thu May 2 14:02:08 EDT 2002

On 2 May 2002, Andy Cedilnik wrote:

> My observations so far:
> Yes, it has to do with C++ compiler. When libvtkCommon.so and so on are
> build they do not link to libCrun.so. When vtk executable is build it
> does. The result is that VTK/Python on Sun using Sun C++ compiler will
> not work. I even tried to link libCrun by myself and that resulted in:
>
> Python 1.5.2 (#5, May  1 2002, 11:42:34) [C] on sunos5
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
[snip]
> /space/andy/vtk/VTK-bin/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so: symbol
> __1cDstdEcerr_: referenced symbol not found
>
> And so on.

Some detective work with nm and grep should allow you to find all of the
libraries that have to be linked to.  This will add a lot of extra stuff
in CMake that is specific to a single compiler on a single platform,
but the other solution (re-linking the python executable with C++)
is really just a one-shot solution.

 - David