[vtk-developers] Python packages: proposed updates.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Mar 30 13:59:53 EST 2002

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback.

    DG>     vtk/tk/ -- All the Tk related widgets.
    DG>             RenderWindow.py ImageViewerWindow.py
[snip]

    DG> I think that you should keep the original names
    DG> (e.g. vtkTkRenderWidget.py, wxVTKRenderWindow.py, etc).  It
    DG> only makes sense to name all of these files "RenderWindow.py"
    DG> if they are all shared the same basic set of methods, but that
    DG> is not the case.

[snip]

    DG> I think that it is fine to use from vtk.wx import * to get
    DG> access to a wxVTKRenderWindow.  I just don't want the
    DG> wxVTKRenderWindow to be renamed to 'RenderWindow'.

My plan was to only change the name of the file to RenderWindow.py and
*not* change the name of the class inside the file.  The idea was that
no matter what gui toolkit you use you get a VTK RenderWindow embedded
in that toolkit.

So tk/RenderWindow.py would still have the class vtkTkRenderWidget

qt/RenderWindow.py will have QVTKRenderWidget

wx/RenderWindow.py -->   wxVTKRenderWindow

gtk/RenderWindow.py --> GtkVTKRenderWindow

This way the file that one needs to import will be the same but the
class it exposes will be different.

Its really a question of what needs to be consistent.  Does one want
the same name for the class and the file?  Or the same name for all
the files with different classes inside?

I'd appreciate if you could clarify this.

thanks,
prabhu