[vtk-developers] Python packages: proposed updates.

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Sat Mar 30 13:45:35 EST 2002

Hi Prabhu,

Just one comment about naming:

    vtk/tk/ -- All the Tk related widgets.

            RenderWindow.py
            ImageViewerWindow.py
            ImageWindow.py

     vtk/qt/  -- Qt.

            RenderWindow.py

     vtk/wx/  -- wx.

            RenderWindow.py

     vtk/gtk/ -- gtk widgets (when they are ready).

            RenderWindow.py

I think that you should keep the original names
(e.g. vtkTkRenderWidget.py, wxVTKRenderWindow.py, etc).
It only makes sense to name all of these files
"RenderWindow.py" if they are all shared the same basic
set of methods, but that is not the case.

In fact, the opposite is true.  The wxVTKRenderWindow is
modelled after a wxWindow, hence it is called a
'wxVTKRenderWindow'.  The vtkTkRenderWidget actually is
a vtkTkRenderWidget, imported through Tkinter.  In
each case the widget 'has' a vtkRenderWindow, but there
is no case where the widget 'is' a vtkRenderWindow.

I think that it is fine to use
  from vtk.wx import *
to get access to a wxVTKRenderWindow.  I just don't
want the wxVTKRenderWindow to be renamed to 'RenderWindow'.

 - David