[vtk-developers] development roadmap?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Mar 28 12:33:28 EST 2002

Hi Sebastien,

    >> (d) One "Future" section and maybe a wishlist.  I guess this
    >> covers all that Mike asked for.

    SB> The FAQ is up and running, and I'm quite sure it can be used
    SB> for that.

Well, if you all think that the FAQ is the place to put this, fine.
I'm not convinced that Change history of VTK is really a Frequently
Asked Question but it doesn't matter.  What is the FAQ password?  I
dont seem to have it in my mail archives.

    SB> Here is what we are going to try here (at Kitware). I'll setup
    SB> a cron-job each night that will create a nice ChangeLog and
    SB> make it available online (ftp, web). This ChangeLog will be
    SB> sent every two weeks or so to a "FAQ Police Officer". This
    SB> lucky fellow will review the changes that occurred in the last
    SB> two weeks and figure out which important features should be
    SB> documented in the FAQ. Then, he will (politely) ask the
    SB> developers to fill out the corresponding FAQ entries. And ask
    SB> again. And again.

Sounds good.  Lets see how it goes.

    >> (2) More discussion on the devel list.  Frankly there isn't
    >> enough.  Some of you might have the feeling -- "many people
    >> don't respond with suggestions when people do make posts".  I
    >> feel that communication need not be two way all the time.  If
    >> someone posts about something they plan to do and no one
    >> responds, at the very least everyone knows what is going on.

    SB> ...which is definitely good. People should not think that "no
    SB> feedback = bad idea". Feedback on what is going on is good.

Exactly my point.  So, we should talk more about what we plan to do.
If that is painful atleast mention whats happened once things are
changed.  Please, I'm not blaming anyone for anything.  Its just that
I have an impression that maybe we could be more communicative of what
goes on.  I could always be wrong.

    >> (a) Frankly, even though I'm supposed to be a developer I have
    >> no clue of where VTK is going and what is being planned.  Maybe
    >> all the Kitware folks have a general idea but I'm not sure if
    >> we all have a general idea of who does what and what the "big
    >> plan" is.  I can't believe that there is none.

    SB> There was a roadmap for VTK 4.0 that was sent as a PDF paper,
    SB> if you remember it. I received it as I was still a contributor
    SB> in France (at that time it was OK to send such document to an
    SB> evil country like France).

Yes, thats true.  I do vaguely remember it (searching my
mailboxes...).  Yes, here it is: