[vtk-developers] development roadmap?

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Thu Mar 28 11:40:43 EST 2002

Hi Prabhu

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll address some issues here.

>Here are some of my thoughts.
>
>  (1) We really need a separate changes page where the developers can
>  enter information on changes etc.  I dont think this information
>  belongs in the FAQ.  Earlier (VTK 2.x?)  there used to be a page
>  dedicated to changes between versions.  The following things in such
>  a page would be nice.
>
>    (a) Chapters (or whatever you call it) for each release.  Entries
>    can start with VTK 3.2.
>
>    (b) Sections on: new classes (with a one line description and a
>    link to the docs), new features, compatibility issues, wrapping,
>    performance, installation and miscellaneous things would make for
>    very useful, readable, navigable collection of information.  This
>    would be pretty comprehensive.
>
>    (c) Free access just like the FAQ.  Also cross references from and
>    to the FAQ.
>
>    (d) One "Future" section and maybe a wishlist.  I guess this covers
>    all that Mike asked for.

The FAQ is up and running, and I'm quite sure it can be used for that.

Here is what we are going to try here (at Kitware). I'll setup a cron-job
each night that will create a nice ChangeLog and make it available online
(ftp, web). This ChangeLog will be sent every two weeks or so to a "FAQ
Police Officer". This lucky fellow will review the changes that occurred in
the last two weeks and figure out which important features should be
documented in the FAQ. Then, he will (politely) ask the developers to fill
out the corresponding FAQ entries. And ask again. And again.

>  (2) More discussion on the devel list.  Frankly there isn't enough.
>  Some of you might have the feeling -- "many people don't respond with
>  suggestions when people do make posts".  I feel that communication
>  need not be two way all the time.  If someone posts about something
>  they plan to do and no one responds, at the very least everyone knows
>  what is going on.

...which is definitely good. People should not think that "no feedback =
bad idea". Feedback on what is going on is good.

>    (a) Frankly, even though I'm supposed to be a developer I have no
>     clue of where VTK is going and what is being planned.  Maybe all
>     the Kitware folks have a general idea but I'm not sure if we all
>     have a general idea of who does what and what the "big plan" is.
>     I can't believe that there is none.

There was a roadmap for VTK 4.0 that was sent as a PDF paper, if you
remember it. I received it as I was still a contributor in France (at that
time it was OK to send such document to an evil country like France).

As for 5.0...Do not forget that many of the changes made to VTK are
side-effects from our private projects/contracts. Thus, we might not know
in advance which big feature will really make its way to VTK.

>    (b) I guess the VTK BOF's that you have during conferences keeps
>     all the people who can attend informed but that is not enough.
>     Maybe all developers should meet once in a month on IRC or
>     something?  This way its possible to keep in touch and share ideas
>     better.  A few hours once a month wouldn't hurt and its all online
>     and the session could be recorded for later reference.

Can you set that up ? Is there a *free* IRC client ?
Choose a IRC server, a channel, and a time schedule. Bare in mind that
Kitware and GE are in a different Time Zone than yours (US Eastern Time, EST).

--
Sebastien Barre