[vtk-developers] development roadmap?

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Wed Mar 27 09:49:03 EST 2002

I think what need are more frequent (and scheduled) "releases" of VTK. It
would be great if VTK could be released every 3 months - this way
developers could move up four times a year to a new version of VTK that is
stable. The downside to this is that each release takes quite a bit of time
to do right, so I don't think this sort of release schedule is possible.

Our method here at Kitware is to work with the nightly release during the
active development stage of a product (such as VolView or ParaView). When
we get close to wrapping up development and moving into testing mode, we
wait for a relatively stable day in the life of VTK, branch it, then keep
an eye on the changes made and move the necessary bug fixes made on the
main tree into our branch.

Maybe we can have a not-quite-a-release version of VTK by imposing a
"freeze" on feature changes (allowing only bug fixes) for one week every
few months or so. At the end of this week VTK should be fairly stable. We
can tag VTK at the end of the week, and folks could check this out as a
"good" intermediate version of VTK.

Lisa