[vtk-developers] Early feedback on the new interface to the VTK Python modules.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Mar 25 08:17:21 EST 2002

hi,

    Vio> Linux box, VTK home is /o/VTK/VTK, python2.1: Note1: after
    Vio> installing VTK out of the box, my python2.1 couldn't find
    Vio> 'vtk' (as in 'import vtk') nor python-specific shared
    Vio> libs. Needed to do:

    root> ldconfig
    Vio> and edit my .bash_profile: export
    Vio> PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/o/VTK/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk:/usr/local/lib/vtk

You need to have this instead.

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/o/VTK/VTK/Wrapping/Python/:/usr/local/lib/vtk

i.e. /o/VTK/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/ is replaced by
/o/VTK/VTK/Wrapping/Python/

Also, the proposed new interface to the VTK Python modules does not
address the issue of installation.  The installation is a little
tricky and getting it to work under all platforms might be some work.

cheers,
prabhu