[vtk-developers] ReleaseDataFlag

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 12:16:06 EST 2002

Maybe this is more an issue for developers, apologies for the cross-posting.

I'm confused about the ReleaseDataFlag. A couple of my own filters were
using a lot of memory, so I called
vtkDataObject::SetGlobalReleaseDataFlag(1) to try to release memory from
earlier in the pipeline that was no longer needed. This works spectacularly
for one of them, everything was fine. For the other, however, I got
problems because towards the end of the Execute() function the data in
this->GetInput() had been released and had gone! I think the problem is
captured in this sketch:

void MyFilter::Execute()
{

this->GetInput()->GetCell(id); // fine, since data not released

vtkTransformPolyDataFilter trans
trans->SetInput(this->GetInput());

trans->Update();

... // use output of trans

this->GetInput()->GetCell(id); // ERROR! data has been released!

}

When trans has finished, it checks to see if it can release its data. The
global flag says yes, so it releases this->GetInput() which is disastrous.

How do I stop the data being released mid-Execute? Using
ReleaseDataFlagOff() calls doesn't work because the global flag overrides
them! (see vtkDataObject::ShouldIReleaseData)

I'm using the latest CVS of VTK4 on win2k with visualc++6.

Thanks,

Tim.
Tim Hutton,                        http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~dmi/MINORI
Research Fellow & PhD student,                   T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
MINORI Project, Biomedical Informatics Unit,     Tel: [+44] (0)20 7915 2344
Eastman Dental Institute, UCL,                   Fax: [+44] (0)20 7915 2303
256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK      Mobile: [+44] (0)7748 678 832
This email represents the views of the sender alone and must not be
construed as representing the views of the Eastman Dental Institute. It may
contain confidential information and may be protected by law as a legally
privileged document and copyright work. Its content should not be disclosed
and it should not be given or copied to anyone other than the person(s)
named or referenced above. If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender.