[vtk-developers] vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 20 09:18:03 EDT 2002

Hi Ken,

Appreciate that knowing the size of the output volume before it is produced
could be useful, but I can't see how this is really possible at the moment.
Ideally the user doesn't normally set SampleSpacing when using the filter
(though maybe this isn't clearly explained) - the method of using the
number of points relative to the volume of the bounding box pointset seems
to work well at giving a reasonable sampling. I'd be happy for it to be
replaced with SetSampleDimensions (since the spacing is just the bounding
box divided by the dimensions) but not for the dimensions to default to
some fixed value, this really does change the function of the filter.

Maybe it would be more useful (and would better match its name) if
vtkSurfaceReconstruction ran vtkContour over the volume before outputting a
polygonal surface, rather than a volume. Inevitably this is what is done
after running vtkSRF anyway. This would solve your problem - the volume
would be only an intermediate memory use.

Having said that, the filter doesn't work terribly well at doing surface
reconstruction, it's an old algorithm. I'd love to replace it with
PowerCrust or something similar but we're having trouble porting the code
compactly to VTK at the moment.

Tim.

Tim Hutton,                        http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~dmi/MINORI
Research Fellow & PhD student,                   T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
MINORI Project, Biomedical Informatics Unit,     Tel: [+44] (0)20 7915 2344
Eastman Dental Institute, UCL,                   Fax: [+44] (0)20 7915 2303
256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK      Mobile: [+44] (0)7748 678 832
This email represents the views of the sender alone and must not be
construed as representing the views of the Eastman Dental Institute. It may
contain confidential information and may be protected by law as a legally
privileged document and copyright work. Its content should not be disclosed
and it should not be given or copied to anyone other than the person(s)
named or referenced above. If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender.