[vtk-developers] RE: unable to load packages

Volpe, Christopher R (Research) volpecr at crd.ge.com
Mon Jul 8 10:24:10 EDT 2002

Hi folks-
  Problem solved. It was a windows limitation on the environment variable size. In Windows NT/2K, you
have a system variable called "Path" and a user variable called "path" (note differing
capitalization). Normally, the system concatenates "path" to the end of "Path", and the result
becomes the value of %PATH% seen by applications, such as cmd.exe (MS DOS prompt). Unfortunately, if
you exceed a memory limitation on the environment size, Windows silently chooses not to perform this
concatenation. This is what happened to me, resulting in wish.exe not being able to locate the vtk
libraries, whose location was specified by the user "path" variable.
  The fix for this is to follow the instructions given in Mocrosoft Knowledge Base article Q158141,
which I reproduce below:

In Windows 2000:
	In Control Panel , double-click System .

	Click the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables . In the System variables , click ComSpec
.

	To increase the amount of environment space, use the following syntax:

	ComSpec = <drive:\windir>\system32\cmd.exe /e:2048

	where <drive:\windir> is the drive and folder where the Windows 2000 system files are
located.

The maximum size for the /E: switch is 32768 bytes.

-Chris