[vtk-developers] Data structures in VTK

Andy Cedilnik Andy.Cedilnik at kitware.com
Wed Jan 2 08:25:46 EST 2002

Well, we do not really need to wrap templated classes. My though about this
from the start was to
minimize redundency of the code within VTK and related projects, not to be
used in TCL, Python,
JAVA, ...  applications. Since templates are already used within VTK, this
should not be a problem.

find ./ -type f | xargs grep -l "template *<" | wc

shows 116 files that use templates.

In any case, vtkDataArray cannot be used as a universal data array, because
it can be only used for a very
specific subset of data types. We should not close doors for developers to
use dynamic arrays or other
containers for arbitrary data type. The reason why we do not have to wrap
these containers is because
languages that wrap VTK define them by themself. For example Tcl has
associative array,  java has
hash table, etc. The only bad point is that VTK class cannot return a
container. When this has to happen,
VTK class could return a fixed sized array or something similar.

So, STL we either include all or nothing. If all, then somebody will need
to make a serious change of job
from developer to administrator.

                                 Andy