[vtk-developers] VTK ARB

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 18:58:16 EST 2002

Ken,

I wonder what has provoked this question.

I'm a member of the "I use vtk lots and am continually spending quite a bit
of time fixing things (in my vtk classes) that have become obsolete or
otherwise broken due to architecture - or even minor (like the headers
cleanup - at least in principle rather than in terms of physical impact)
changes - But I accept them as a form of payment (or perhaps penance!) for
the use of the otherwise free software"

Are there "Paying Customers" who need to be insulated from this kind of
gradual change - and is this who the ARB is aimed at protecting? The reason
I ask is because it seems that the existing procedure seems to work quite
well. We all make minor tweaks to fix the odd thing. Occasionally suggest
bigger tweaks on the developers list and get on with things if noone
objects. Kitware (presumably) agrees at coffee time amongst themselves what
changes they want to make and then get on with it. Those of us on the
periphery absorb the impact of the kitware changes as I mentioned above,
with a kind of shrug and "well fair enough I suppose, it's a pain, but it's
for the best" attitude.

The ARB won't help someone like me, because I'll agree to any change that
improves the kit, regardless of how many builds it breaks. I've always
disagreed with backwards compatibility if it impedes progress (in whatever
direction). [pinch of salt needed with that last statement]

So my question is possibly, what sort of Architecture changes do you have in
mind. Will the ARB be in a position to veto a suggested change, or is the
ARB intended to suggest the future direction?

JB
OK. I've just re-read your original post on this subject and I see that you
want the ARB to be able to veto a change that's proposed. I'll send this
anyway in the hope it provokes a discussion. (Probably Kitware have some
plans for changes that have provoked the idea of the ARB...)