[vtk-developers] deprecate vtkInteractorStyleTrackball

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Fri Apr 26 08:37:51 EDT 2002

At 10:27 AM 4/26/2002 +0530, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     SB> Hi I think we should deprecate the vtkInteractorStyleTrackball
>     SB> class. It is, at least, duplicated code (and for some
>     SB> functions triple code). It might be confusing for VTK users to
>     SB> leave this whole pice of nasty code here, and it's a pain to
>     SB> maintain.
>
>     SB> What about we make it derived from vtkInteractorStyleSwitch
>     SB> and just write the constructor so that it sets the switch to
>     SB> trackball mode automatically (and issue a "deprecated"
>     SB> warning). The functionality, as far as I know, would be the
>     SB> same.
>
>     SB> I'll commit a new round of interactor-styles clean-up tonite
>     SB> or tomorrow.
>
>I'm confused and dont understand what you mean.  Do you mean that the
>trackball style itself is deprecated or will you rework the trackball
>code so that it is written differently?  I'm opposed to removing the
>trackball style.  Why should the trackball style be deprecated and not
>the joystick? I.e. will the users be able to use
>interactorStyleSwitch, hit the 't' key and see trackball interaction?

We're not talking about getting rid of the trackball style, just the class
vtkInteractorStyleTrackball.  The code in it is already handled by
vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera and
vtkInteractorStyleTrackballActor.  vtkInteractorStyleSwitch is the default
interactor style (set in vtkRenderWindowInteractor).  Hitting "t" for this
interactor style switches between trackball and joystick mode, so either
the class vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera or
vtkInteractorStyleTrackballActor is used depending on whether we are in
actor or camera mode.

Does that make sense?  vtkInteractorStyleTrackball is already not being
used by vtkInteractorStyleSwitch, and since the code is duplicated, it
probably makes sense to get rid of the class, but not the functionality.

- Amy