[vtk-developers] IRC boycott?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Apr 24 00:37:50 EDT 2002

    WS> What we do on some other projects is to pick a day and time on
    WS> a regular basis (say every two weeks or so) and whoever can
    WS> show up, shows up. Once a schedule gets established (with some
    WS> gentle reminders on the developers list) it works out pretty
    WS> well. If no one shows up, nobody waits around. I would chalk
    WS> up this snafu to start up confusion: some of us have never
    WS> used the IRC chat stuff before, and really didn't know what to

Yes, thats understandable.  Sebastien said that I was supposed to
handle the IRC related stuff -- setting things up, helping people get
started, logging the session, fixing a time etc.  So if its ok with
everyone I'll do the announcements and fix the final time.  Here are a
few things I have in mind.

 (1) If we receive no serious objections in time (i.e. atleast one day
 in advance) after an announcement we will assume that we are meeting
 at the announced time.

 (2) It seems that the time is a little inconvenient to some like
 Rasmus.  Could all of the developers with problems meeting on a
 weekday at 10AM US EST tell me (off list) if there is a problem?  We
 need to arrive at a time thats convenient to all of us.  Its not fair
 if the majority choose to ignore a few developers because of our
 convenience.  Lets get this right.  Could all those with problems
 with the time let me know (off the list) what time would be
 convenient.  I'll try and figure out a convenient time based on your
 (Bill) to co-ordinate choosing the time.

 (3) The firewall related problems.  Both Jeff and Bill have
 difficulties.  Charl said that he could get cgiirc going at a server
 he has access to.  Could you folks please sort this out.  Thanks.

    WS> expect. And anyway, if we were any good at communicating we
    WS> wouldn't need to do this IRC stuff..

Well, I think IRC (or an equivalent) is a good idea once in a while
even for very communicative developers, especially when the project is
large.

Thanks.

cheers,
prabhu