[vtk-developers] vtkReferenceCount (Was vtkLiteObject)

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Mon Apr 22 16:05:12 EDT 2002

Hello!

I will retry this e-mail thread...
For unifying some of the functionality of VTK (which is my goal for a
while already), I believe we need to take reference counting out of
vtkObject and put it in the superclass. This superclass will then be
also superclass of vtkCommand and vtkContainer, providing the same
functionality for "all" vtk classes.

Also, I would like to add Debug and GetClassName to the superclass, so
that vtkContainer and vtkCommand classes will be able to use vtkSetGet
macros.

So, ...

Let us start this all over again. Last time we kind of agreed that it is
a good idea and we started working on the name. I would like the
developers to express their opinion on the appropriate name.

Current candidates:

vtkBaseObject
vtkBasicObject
vtkReferenceCount
vtkReferenceCounted

Please suggest something quickly and I will do the work in the next
couple of days.

				Andy Cedilnik